Calgary Biennial Call for Submissions
- Posted by Steven Cottingham on April 21st, 2012
Deadline: Sunday, April 22 2012.
We are proud to be issuing the call for submissions for the inaugural Calgary Biennial. Taking place in September 2012, this exhibition will gather a selection of both emerging and established artists who are currently based in Calgary, AB. The show will span several venues, occurring physically at Haight Gallery, 809 Gallery, and an online web-only platform created specifically for showcasing net-art at the biennial exhibition. In addition to serving as an examination of the contemporary Calgarian art scene, the 2012 Calgary Biennial will explore themes of ‘home’ – specifically how home simultaneously and exclusively divides space into places that are home, and places that are not and cannot be home. How can one place become home and another place cease to be home? Can one person have more than one home?
Proposals can be in any medium and collaboration is encouraged. Please include the following in your submission:
1. Artist statement: maximum one page. Please describe your current artistic practice in relation to your proposed project.
2. Proposal: maximum one page. Provide a clear and detailed description of the proposed work, specifying where the work should be shown (physically at Haight Gallery or digitally on the web-only platform) and installation requirements.
3. Images of proposed and supporting work: maximum seven images. Support should be .jpg files not exceeding 1200 pixels in any dimension. Image file names should be formatted with the artist’s surname followed by a number corresponding to visual documentation list (surname01.jpg). In place of images, artists can choose to provide direct links to video or web-based work online.
4. Visual documentation list: please indicate title, date, medium/description, and size of work.
5. Curriculum vitae: maximum two pages, including contact information and website.
E-mail all submissions to email@example.com by midnight on Sunday, April 22 2012. Please submit all written submission materials as a single .pdf file. All submissions material should be compressed in a .zip folder and added as an e-mail attachment. Artists will be notified as to the status of their application in mid-May.